Yellow Squash Tortino with Ricotta and Tomato Sauce is a simple delicious appetizer that everyone will love!
You’ll need a mandolin or something similar to slice the Yellow Squash about 1/8 of in inch thick (slicing lengthwise).
Place 6-7 Yellow Squash slices lengthwise in each greased ramekin, placing one end in the middle and leaving the top of the squash stick out of the ramekin so you can fold it over once filled (see pictures below), layer them like a flower petal.
Scoop Ricotta mixture into the center into each dish filling it to the top.
Then fold the edges of the Squash over the Ricotta mixture sealing it up.
Sprinkle some Grana Pradano on top and bake!
While it’s baking you can prepare the sauce (full printable recipe below!)
I hope you guys love this appetizer as much as we did! It’s:
- Easy to make
- and Totally Orgasmik!
If you try this recipe let us know what you think! Leave a comment below, rate it, share it on social media, or take a picture and tag it #orgasmikcooking on Instagram! We LOVE seeing what you guys cook up. 🙂
Yellow Squash Tortino with Ricotta and Tomato Sauce
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 25
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 2
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
- 12-14 1/8 inch thick lengthwise slices of Yellow Squash
For the filling:
- 75 grams Ricotta Cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Grana Padano divided (1/4 cup to mix and 1/4 cup to sprinkle on top for garnish)
- 1/4 cup chopped raw Cashews
- 1 tsp grated Nutmeg
- Pinch of Salt and Pepper
For the sauce:
- 1 clove Garlic
- 2 Tbs EVOO
- 1 cup crushed Tomatoes
- Pinch of Salt and Pepper
- 1 tsp dried Oregano
- 5 Basil leaves julienned
- In a medium bowl add Ricotta, 1/4 cup Grana Padano, Cashews, Nutmeg, Salt, Pepper, and mix well
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Brush the inside of 2 ramekins with a bit of EVOO
- Place 6-7 Yellow Squash slices lengthwise in the ramekin, placing one end in the middle and leaving the top of the squash stick out of the ramekin so you can fold it over once filled (see pictures), layer them like a flower petal
- Scoop Ricotta mixture into each dish filling to the top
- Fold Squash edges over the Ricotta mixture to close it up
- Add remaining Grana Padano on top
- Bake 25 minutes
- While this is baking prepare the sauce
- In a small pan add EVOO, heat over med heat then add Garlic, sauté 1 minute or until it reaches a golden color
- Add Tomatoes, Salt, Pepper, and stir
- Add Oregano and a little bit of water if it starts to become too thick, simmer for 10 minutes
- Remove from heat and add Basil
- Remove Garlic clove *see notes below
- Tip ramekins upside down onto a plate removing the Ricotta stuffed Squash
- Pour Tomato Sauce over
- Serve immediately
- Buon Appetito!
If you are a garlic lover you can mince it and cook it with the sauce instead of using a whole clove and removing it, it’s your choice.