First time making this risotto combining saffron and artichokes (I always make it with zucchini/green peas/red bell pepper/seafood) and I have to say it was delicious!! Tasty, light and creamy, excellent vegetarian option. For vegans, sub butter and cheeses.
Ingredients : (2 servings)
1 Cup Arborio Rice
1/3 Red Onion finely chopped
28 0z Artichokes Hearths in a water
1 Garlic clove finely chopped
8 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive oil
1 Tbsp. Saffron Pistils
1/2 Cup Grated Grana Padano
1/2 Cup Grated Pecorino Romano DOP
4-5 Cups Vegetable Stock (Hot)
2 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter
1/2 Tsp. Black Pepper
2 Tsp. Sea Salt
1 Glass White Wine
- Take a pan. add 3 Tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil, warm it up then add garlic. Let the garlic get golden color and then throw in the julienned rinsed artichokes.
- Sauté the artichokes at medium high heat for about 2 minutes, add 1/2 Tsp. of salt and black pepper, than blush it with 1/2 glass of wine. When wine has evaporated turn the heat off and set on the side.
- In a sauce pan add the remaining extra virgin olive oil, warm it up at medium heat then add the onion. Let it soften, add the rice. Stir for about 2-3 minutes until the rice is “toasted”- not burned.
- Blush it with the remaining wine and stir. Once the tine evaporates, start to pour in half cup of hot vegetable stock and stir constantly. Repeat this every time the stock gets absorbed. Add salt, then saffron and artichokes. Stir and make sure the liquid covers the surface of the rice and artichokes.
- One minute before to the rice reaches “al dente”, turn the heat off. Add some stock if the rice looks dry, then add the butter and stir. Add the pecorino and grana cheeses little by little, stirring quickly to make sure the risotto results are smooth and creamy. Serve immediately.