There is no limit to creativity, cue in this savory hot version of a popsicle!!
Arancini rice balls are usually round or pear shaped, but not this time. This cute as a button popsicle has a crispy exterior with a tasty mushroom and pancetta filling. Perfect as finger food or for a fancy addition to a buffet to impress your guests.
Ingredients: (6 servings)
1 Cup Arborio Rice
1/3 Onion finely chopped
6 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Garlic Clove
2 Tsps. Saffron pistils
1/4 Cup Pancetta Diced (you can substitute with ham or prosciutto)
1 Cup Mushrooms Diced
1 Glass White Wine
1 Rosemary Stalk
2 Tbsp. Grated Parmigiano Reggiano or Grana Padano
1 Cup Mozzarella Cheese Shredded or Diced
4 Cups Hot Vegetables Broth
2 Cups Panko Crumbled Bread
Salt and Pepper
Sunflower Oil (enough for frying)
Popsicles Mold (see pics)
- In a pan fryer, heat up 1 Tbsp. of Extra Virgin Oil at medium heat then add the pancetta. Let it fry until nice and crispy. Remove from the pan and let cool down aside.
- In the same pan add 2 Tbsp. of Extra Virgin Oil, then the whole peeled garlic clove and the rosemary stalk. Wait about a minute, then add the mushrooms. Stir at high heat for a minute. Blush it with 1/2 of the half glass of white wine.
- Once the wine has evaporated, season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Turn the heat off, then remove the garlic clove and the rosemary stalk. Take the pancetta back in the same pan and mix it with the mushrooms.
- Next step- cooking the rice as you normally would (per cooking instructions) and mix in the mushroom/pancetta mixture with the parmigiano. Once done, let cool it down.
- Take the popsicles mold, and start filling with a spoonful of the rice/mushroom mixture and place mozzarella cheese in the center of each molding. Cover it evenly all through the surface.
- Transfer the popsicle molds into the freezer for 1 hour or a little bit more. Once frozen, take each popsicle one at the time, soaking it in a egg wash mixture seasoned with a pinch of salt and pepper. Then coat it with the panko breadcrumbs.
- Once you have done the same operation with the rest of the popsicles, start to frying it using a saucepan with sunflower oil, bring it to the right hot temperature (170/180F). Fry one at the time then set on a kitchen towel paper. Ready to eat.