A budget-friendly appetizer using bread slices and bacon to create an original light bite bursting with flavor.
Ingredients : (4 boats)
1 Large Zucchini
4 Slices Bread (use only the dough)
1 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
3 Tsp Grated Nutmeg
1/4 Cup Milk
4 Slices Smoked Bacon
1 Tbs. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Pinch Salt and Pepper for seasoning the zucchini
- Remove the middle part with the seeds from the zucchini. Cut it length wise and divide it by four halved boats.
- Season with salt, pepper and extra virgin olive oil, than set it in a baking tray and bake for 8 minutes at 400 F.
- Meanwhile in a bowl, add milk and the bread dough. Let it soak for a minute, squeeze the dough, remove the remaining milk from the bowl. Add in the parmesan cheese and the nutmeg with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Mix all well until it has obtained an homogeneous filling. Better know in Italy as “farcia” or “farcitura.”
- Remove the zucchini from the oven. Once cooled down, fill it with the “farcia” filling.
- Wrap each boat with a slice of bacon. Place the zucchini boats back in the oven and bake for about 10 minutes and then broil for the last 2 minutes (use your discretion so the boats don’t burn).
- Serve it immediately with a side of marinara sauce as optional.