Pomodori Ripieni Di Riso (Baked Stuffed Tomatoes with Rice) was a delicious family recipe growing up in Italy. This is true comfort food, you guys are going to love this meal!
Ahhhh comfort food… there’s really nothing better in life. Sitting down to a homemade meal where every savory bite brings back fond memories of your childhood or a happier time in your life… yes this meal is it!
This is a traditional recipe in Rome that many families make. Growing up my mom made this meal often. Sometimes she would prepare this a day ahead of time and then we would pack it up in a cooler and take it to the beach the next day.
It’s delicious served warm or cold, it’s totally your preference on how you want to eat it. 🙂
There is a little bit of labor involved with making this meal. I call it a labor of love. 🙂
I used very large Tomatoes for this recipe to make it a meal, but you could certainly use more smaller ones if you wanted to create little appetizer bites.
Just slice the top off of the Tomatoes and hollow out the insides.
Blend up the Tomato innards and add them to a bowl along with the Rice, Garlic, Mint, Parsley, EVOO, Salt, and Pepper.
Let it soak at room temperature for 50 minutes.
Once this is done you can prep the Potatoes.
Peel and slice the Potatoes into thin wedges. The more thin you make them the crispier they will get… I myself prefer them very crispy.
Add them to a baking sheet in a single layer and drizzle EVOO over them. Place the Garlic cloves around them and sprinkle fresh Rosemary along with a little Salt and Pepper over the Potatoes.
Add a pinch of Salt to the inside of the Tomatoes. Stuff the Tomatoes with the rice filling and place them on top of Potatoes.
Place the lid back on the Tomatoes and bake 360 degrees for 45 min – 1 hour. Then broil on hi for 5 minutes to brown the edges.
Again if you like your Potatoes more crispy, you can remove the baked Tomatoes and broil your Potatoes a bit longer to your preference.
I hope you guys love this meal as much as I do! It’s:
- Easy to make
- Great for meal prepping
- and Super Tasty!
If you try this recipe let us know what you think! Leave a comment below, rate it, share it on social media, or take a picture and tag it #orgasmikcooking on Instagram! We LOVE seeing what you guys cook up. 🙂
Pomodori Ripieni Di Riso (Baked Stuffed Tomatoes with Rice)
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Category: Vegan
- Cuisine: Italian
For the Tomatoes:
- 4 large Tomatoes
- 1 cup + 2 Tbs Arborio or Carnaroli Rice
- 4 Garlic cloves finely chopped
- 24 Mint Leaves
- 1 cup fresh Italian Parsley finely chopped
- 4 Tbs EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
For the Potatoes:
- 2 large White Potatoes peeled and sliced into thin wedges
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 2 cloves Garlic
- A few sprigs of fresh Rosemary chopped
- Wash Tomatoes and slice off tops (approximately 1/4 inch)
- Scoop out inside of Tomatoes to create a hollow shell, set aside
- Add inside of Tomatoes to a food processor and blend 30 seconds to create a puree
- In a medium bowl add Tomato puree, Rice, Garlic, Mint, Parsley, EVOO, Salt, and Pepper
- Let soak 50 minutes
- Preheat oven to 360 degrees
- Add a pinch of Salt to inside of each Tomato
- Spoon Rice mixture into Tomatoes
- Place sliced Potatoes onto a baking sheet in a single layer
- Sprinkle with Salt/Pepper, and place Garlic and Rosemary onto Potatoes
- Place stuffed Tomatoes on top of Potatoes keeping them level
- Place tops of Tomatoes back on
- Bake 45 min – 1 hour
- Broil 5 minutes to brown the outside a bit
- Serve warm or cold
- Buon Appetito!